Thursday, November 11, 2010

L-L-Larchmont

Well, we've completed our first week-ish at Larchmont and so far so good!  The kids are crazy but it's a lot of fun.  Nothing like walking into school after a hectic morning of PT and getting stormed by little munchkins that want nothing more than to attach themselves to you and know everything about you.  They get super excited to see new people to play with and become best friends with.  Or  I was also informed it's because I'm warm and they think it's cold out here (HA HA, they do have jokes).  I informed them that where I came from it was much much colder and they should be thankful.  They remained attached, so I don't think they cared.  Such is life, but I digress.  It's been a lot of fun working amongst my teammates.  before coming here, I was working with a 7th grader 1:1 and I didn't mind it but it's a nice change to have people to joke with and eat lunch with, as strange as that may sound.  They always have something new to add or another hilarious story, and it's refreshing to have that between classes or recess.  I also really like a special education classroom in particular, taught by Mr. Tealdi.  He's PHENOMENAL.  I've never seen a special education classroom run that well, and the kids respect him and the systems he created to encourage good behavior and hard work.  Truly admirable.  For example, he has a series of repeat-back-to-me's that he does to get the attention of his students, including the "class class" "yes yes" and the mighty groan or mighty oh yeah! that follows associated behavior.  Other classrooms are fun as well but this is my favorite thus far.
On another note, it was discussed Tuesday that it is highly likely that Larchmont Elementary will close after this school year ends.  I was shocked.  Apparently this isn't the first time it's been a threat but the teachers seem to think that this time it will definitely close.  It's really frustrating from our standpoint because it doesn't seem fair, not to mention practical or good for the students, who will be squeezed into the classrooms of other schools within the district.  Not to mention the teachers, who I'm confident are not all guaranteed a job.  Unfortunately, it's not an issue as to whether or not a school will close, it's that one school will be shut down.  So even if Larchmont is magically saved THIS time, another school will close and Larchmont will still likely be on the radar.  Despite excellent faculty, and high achievements in STAR testing scores.  I'm going to the meeting about it next week, hopefully resulting in a better understanding of the situation, but we'll see what will come of it.
On a brighter note, we got to go rock climbing yesterday with Sacramento Pipeworks and it was awesome :)  Almost everyone is taking advantage of the amazing deal they cut with us, and we all loved it.  It's like a giant playground for adults, and the people there are great.  Definitely looking forward to going back!  Also, we did PT workout to ridiculous videos Wednesday, including a dance video that had everyone laughing more than working out (but hey, maybe our abs got a workout then?) and tomorrow we're going for another playground run.  Word has it there's a "Sweating to the Oldies" DVD that I must get my hands on!  I'm planning an epically horrible 80s style workout.  Lucky for my team!  Lastly, Rory bought a volleyball net and ball so today a bunch of us got to play, which was entertaining due to the varying volleyball abilities on our team.  The weather has been cooperating for such activities at least, which is crazy for November (to me, anyway).  I'm hoping to take advantage of the bike rentals offered at the same place we went kayaking.
That's all for now, I have to fetch my laundry.  But I'm hanging in here, definitely looking forward to being home in December though.  It gets difficult at times but I'm glad to be here and I'm enjoying it thus far.  Still curious about our next project, but nothing new there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment